Zen Health Information
Animal protein is overated in the western world and it is associated with many harmful consequences including;
Kidney stones - Animal protein raises the acid load in the body which raises the risk of kidney stones.
Cancer - Animal protein increases the initiation and promotion of cancer cells. High intake has been positively linked to colorectal and prostate cancer.
Diabetes - increased risk of Type 2 diabetes.
Heart Disease - Due to increases in blood cholesterol levels and inflammation.
Osteoporosis - linked to acidity in the blood, the body releases the alkaline mineral calcium from the bones to keep the blood pH around 7.4, this leaches calcium from the bones aiding the development of osteoporosis. Research conducted over 20 years proves this theory and also proves that calcium supplements are more harmful than they are good.
Meat protein is packed with saturated fats, cholesterol, numerous pro-oxidants, no fiber, no phytochemicals and no antioxidants. Animal protein if not organic contains exccessive hormones, vaccinations, pesticides, virues, fungi, worms, parasites, and more chemcials including colourings and preservatives.
Zen Energy Smoothie
1 cup Zen Energise tea or Yerbe Mate tea
1 tabs almond butter
1 tab maca or mesquite powder
2 kale leaves or 1/2 cup baby spinach
2 tabs agave or raw honey
1 vanilla bean scraped
1 teas cinnamon
1/2 cup ice or almond milk
Blend till well combined and smooth, enjoy loads of energy !!
Yerba Maté (pronounced "yerba mah-tay") is a medicinal and cultural herbal beverage that was introduced to the world by the Guarani Indians of South America. It has been celebrated for centuries as "the drink of the gods" and is enjoying fast-spreading popularity all over the world by people seeking a healthier alternative to coffee without the side effects.
The leaves of the yerba mate tee provide 24 vitamins including vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, and traces of other constituents of the B complex. It also includes the following minerals: calcium, manganese, iron, selenium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus. In addition, yerba mate contains 15 amino acids and many powerful antioxidant properties.
There are 196 volatile (or active) chemical compounds found in the Yerba Maté plant. Of those, 144 are identical or similar to those found in green tea. Maté contains xanthines, which are alkaloids in the same family as caffeine, theophylline, matteine and theobromine; some of these well-known compounds are also found in coffee and cacao (chocolate).
Yerba Maté contains eleven polyphenols. Polyphenols are a recently-discovered group of compounds that act as powerful antioxidants. Polyphenols may strengthen an organism's natural defenses and protect it against cellular destruction (e.g. lycopene in tomatoes, flavonoids in blueberries and epicatechins in cacao). In addition to polyphenols, Yerba Maté leaves contain saponins (in fact, one recent study yielded three new saponins in the Yerba Maté leaf!). Saponins are phytochemicals that have been found to specifically stimulate the immune system and aid the body in protecting against disease. Maté also contains important minerals, such as potassium, magnesium and manganese.
Yerba Mate has also been known to promote the following:
- Boost the immune system
- Stimulates clarity and focus
- Increases energy
- Combats fatigue
- Controls the appetite
- Rejuvenates the body
- Eliminates stress and sleep disorders
- Aids elimination
The word "maté" derives from the Quichua word "matí" that names the gourd (Lagenaria vulgaris) that is traditionally used to drink the infusion in South America. To re-create this traditional brew, fill your cup an eighth to a quarter of the way full with the dried, tea cut Yerba Maté leaf, then pour hot or cold water over the herb. After allowing it to steep for a few minutes, the infusion may be sipped with a filtered straw, or strained through cheesecloth or a nut-milk bag. This can be repeated many times over until the resultant beverage is nearly flavorless. Yerba Maté may also be brewed with a traditional drip or percolating automatic coffee maker, or with a re-useable tea dunker. Then, enjoy the delicious smooth, rich flavor of this extraordinary beverage that has so many health benefits!
Chamomile is one of the most widely used flowers for herbal tea Chamomile tea is so popular it can be found in almost any grocery story in the tea aisle. Its reputation as a medicinal plant to treat common ailments has been known for centuries. Revered by the Egyptians and the Greeks, chamomile has been used to relax the nerves, treat anxiety, and improve digestion. The anti-inflammatory properties found in chamomile help treat rheumatism, arthritis, and other painful swellings.
Chamomile can be drank as a tea and also used topically. Chamomile is an excellent addition to salves and lotions and is often used to treat skin inflammation, burns, eczema, insect bites, cuts and scratches. It can be used as a gargle to relieve a sore throat, or a mouthwash to prevent gum disease.
Chamomile has a wonderful scent and when added to a bath can reduce stress, soften the skin, and induce calmness.
For Bath: Use ½ to 1 cup fresh or dried herb tied in a linen bag. Place the herbs in the tub with hot water and let them soak for 10 min. Do not add soap to bath, as it will coat your skin and not allow the Chamomile to penetrate.
The flowers are edible and are a healthy and delicious addition to salads.
The most common way to ingest Chamomile is by making a tea: For 1 cup boiling water add 2 tsp. dried flowers. Steep covered for 10 min.
Source ; Bestdayever
"Reishi is indeed the supreme protector, protecting us on every level-physically, immunologically, mentally, and spiritually. It helps us adapt to the world and provides additional power for us to achieve a superior level of life. When we are so protected and so provided for, we can achieve things that would otherwise be impossible. That is why Reishi has been called the Herb of Good Fortune."
-Ron Teeguarden, The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs
Reishi has been considered the most revered herbal mushroom in Asia for over 2,000 years. The Taoists consider it the "elixir of immortality". Its reputation for causing radiant health and extreme longevity and its superior anti-aging properties make it one of the most powerful herbs on earth.
Reishi is celebrated for its ability to significantly improve the functioning of the immune system, regulating and fine-tuning it so that the immune system can protect us from the onslaught of viruses, bacteria, parasites, pollution, chemicals, molds, and toxicity we are often subjected to in our modern world. Using reishi to boost our immune system will prevent these harmful substances from invading our body, gaining a foothold, and causing disease, aging, calcification of our joints, and other chronic and acute conditions.
Reishi has been proven effective in aiding in the healing of arthritis, and possesses anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant properties.
Reishi is also an excellent anti-stress herb. When we are holding stress and tension both physically and mentally, we are compromising our immune system and our body's ability to fight illness, calcification, nanobacteria is significantly weakened. Reishi is known to ease tension, elevate the spirit and promote peace of mind by transforming negative energy in the body in the same way that the mushroom transforms decayed material on the ground into life-giving nourishment.
Reishi improves the cardiovascular system by lowering the bad cholesterol in our body and reducing excess fatty acids. It has been proven effective in preventing hardening of the arteries, angina, and other symptoms associated with coronary heart disease.
Reishi is one of the safest herbs and is non-toxic. You can take reishi continuously and it does not produce any side effects. If you are serious about your health, reishi is one of the most powerful and effect herbs that you can incorporate into your lifestyle for vibrant health and well-being.
Gynostemma is an anti-aging longevity tonic herb, also known as a cure all herb. This herb may be consumed daily for maximum benefits. Often referred to as a magical grass grown mostly in China, Gynostemma has the following benefits;
- slows down ageing
- reduces fatigue and increases vigor
- improves digestion
- strengthens the mind
- improves sexual functions
- calms the nerves
- eases pain and inflammation
- strengthens the immune system
- is adaptogenic and double directional
- balances the body when under stress
- assists with weight management and acts as an appetite suppressant
- Gynostemma contains 80 different gypenosides - the highest of any plant in nature
- Gynostemma contains amino acids, vitamins and minerals
- it is a Three Treasure Tonic - tonifies your Jing, Chi and Shen
- Tastes sweet and slightly bitter similiar to green tea but with NO caffeine and contains 100 times more antioxidants than green tea
- Currently the most consumed and revered tea in China - said to outsell green tea in the next 5 years.
- The leaves can be consumed as a superfood after using them to make tea - use like a seaweed on salads.
- ZenLongevity tea contains Gynostemma as the main ingredient or you can purchase it seperately.
- Cold tea may be used as a base in smoothies or used hot as a latte base.
Best news is - you now know about this brillant herb before anybody else !! Why wouldn't you try it ?
If you can only drink one cup of tea a day this is what I recommend due to all the amazing benefits. However, if you are able 3 - 6 cups of tea would be extremely health promoting.
Ref: Ron Teeguarden's The Ancient Wisdom of Chinese Tonic Herbs.
Consider the immune system as a guardian angel watching over your body and protecting it from bacteria, viruses, fungi, calcium forming organisms and mutated cells. There are many body functions included in maintaining this resiliency and the immune system is very complex overall, but simply put, the body uses cells called macrophages, T-cells, natural killer cells and interferon secretions to eradicate destructive organisms. This can be greatly enhanced through the use of nutrition and superherbs that are the body's natural medicines.
Antibiotics which means "against life" and probiotics means " for life", therefore antibiotics are not useful for the immune system at all because they destroy all the friendly and unfriendly bacteria in the gut. Research is now suggesting that antibiotic use is linked to cancer development as most people never replenish the beneficial microflora of the gut following antibiotic use.
Inorder to assist our bodies naturally to fight off disease and strengthen our immunity, superherbs become a critical component in the equation of our health care. There are so many options when it comes to using herbs, thousands of choices infact, but what we want is to focus on the best possible superherbs, and forget the rest.
My favourite choices to support your immunity include;
- Medicinal Mushroom Extracts - Reishi ( Queen of herbs ), Chaga ( King of herbs ), Cordeceps, Maitake, Shiitake, Trametes, Agaricus Blazei and Lions Mane mushroom. If you can only take one thing it should be medicinal mushrooms either isolated herbs or in a mix of several together. Mushrooms modulate the immune system by way of "polysaccharides" which attack microbial invaders and simultaneously strengthening the overall immune system functions. Mushrooms are also packed full of antioxidants. Reishi tonifies all three treasures and achieves so much more than just immunity. ( more on that another time !! )
- Cats Claw - this herb from the Amazon has amazing antiviral properties. Cats claw assists with bad calcium removal and absorption of good calcium, it targets the nanobacteria from bad calcium that forms "tumors" or growths throughout the body. Tastes delicious as a tea.
- Astragalus - one of the most potent health tonics ever discovered. It has immune modulating effects, if your immune system is underactive it will raise it up and if its overactive like in autoimmune conditions it can lower the activity to achieve the correct balance. Astragalus enhances macrophage activity and it protects white blood cells. This herb also contains antioxidants hundreds of times stronger than Vitamin E. There are also polysaccarides in astralagus which are potent immune system enhancers. This herb is linked to longevity and is protects the DNA from damage on replication.
- Gynostemma - known as a cure all magical grass, this herb is adaptogenic - its assists the body to "adapt". It reduces pain and inflammation and strengthens the immune function. Gynostemma contains 100 times more antioxidants than green tea and takes just as good. It also tonifies all three treasures and reduces fatigue, stress and nervous tension.
Along with these herbs you could consider adding the following supplements;
- Aged garlic extracts
- Vitamin C from plant based sources like Camu Camu or Acerola cherry or a Liposomal Vitamin C ( from LiveOn labs )
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamins A and E ( food source )
- Probiotics or fermented foods
- Mangosteen powder
- Zinc and iodine.
Hopefully this information will lead you to further research in the area of achieving superimmunity through nutrition and herbs. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to send them through Facebook, if I am unable to answer I will endeavour to find the answers for you.
Stay well over winter. Yours in seriously good health.
I recently finished reading a book on Superimmunity which focused on the nutritional aspects of achieving great health through the immune system. Superimmunity is defined as the body's immune system working to its fullest potential. When the immune system takes on superhero properties you will never get sick again !! Just having average immunity is not what we are trying to achieve - superimmunity however will save your life and keep you free from disease and cancers. Unfortunately, most people suffer from the modern Australian diet (MAD) with includes excess amounts of processed fake foods high in sugar, bad fats, preservatives, colours and all things artificial and toxic to the body. This compromises the immune defenses and the necessary gut flora which is responsible for assisting the body with developing immunity.
So how do we improve our immune system with nutrition ? According to Dr Fuhrman there are several things we need to do each day to build a healthy immune system and body. These include;
- Eat a large raw salad each day.
- Eat half a cup of beans or legumes each day.
- Eat at least 3 pieces of fresh fruit a day - especially fruits high in antioxidants such as berries, pomegranate, cherries, plums and oranges.
- Eat a handful of raw nuts and seeds each day.
- Eat a large serving of green vegetables daily - try a green smoothie !
By consuming these foods we are increasing our nutrients and therefore giving our immune systems the tools it requires to protect us against free radicals, bacteria and viruses.
Avoid eating the 5 most deadliest foods;
- BBQed meat, processed meats and red meat - I advise to avoid all animal proteins. Animal proteins are extremely acid forming in the body and difficult to digest.
- All fried foods.
- Dairy products and trans fats such as margarine - I also advise to avoid eggs due to their toxic and bacterial load.
- Sugar, soft drinks and artificial sweetners.
- White products - use whole grains in place of white products.
Most diets concentrate on macro nutrients - fat, carbohydrates, protein and water however we should be focusing on the micro nutrients - vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and enzymes to achieve superior nutrition. Many superfoods are very dense in micro nutrients and this is why they have a profound effect on health and immunity. More about superfoods later....
Next time I will focus on achieving superimmunity through the use of herbs as medicine inplace of pharmaceuticals.
I have decided it's time to start sharing the wealth of information I have gathered over the last few years to assist people reach and maintain optimal health and longevity through the power of nutrition. Superhealth and longevity are achieved by maintaining a comprehensive nutritional profile, this includes eating foods that are super dense in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and more !! Jam packing our body with live foods that create vitality, energy and superimmunity to keep us well and able to adapt to the daily stressors that we encounter in our current hectic lives. I am so excited to be able to share information as I learn more, including books to read and engage yourself in, recipes for the family and little ones, herbs to include for medicinal puposes and generally all the health "stuff" I love and live in my daily life. Stay tuned for life changing information. Put the zing back in your Jing !!